Discover Discover

So the latest latest thing is Snapchat’s Discover, which Joshua Benton says is a “significant moment in the evolution of mobile news.”   I like Discover, but – after several days of experimentation – I’m sorry to say that I may just be too old for Snapchat.   Or maybe I’m just so old that noone I know is on Snapchat.

Thanks to Elizabeth McLaughlin, for spotting this article on Politico going both global and local, which namechecks the Texas Tribune, among others.   Finally, we’ve all heard of pop-up shops.  Now the BBC is getting into pop-up journalism with a roving team from the Innovation lab that brought the world initiatives such as BBC Trending, which investigates trending topics on Twitter, the BBC World Subreddit, and BBC Shorts on Instagram.

In the article, one of the journalists, Matt Danzico, describes what the team does saying, “They’re all experiments; 50 percent of what we create fails, but we like it when they fail because we learn a lot of lessons.”

In Tuesday’s class, we will be attempting an Audio editing workshop, hopefully without too much failure. In any case, please bring your laptops and iphones.   It would be helpful if you download Audacity (free audio editing software) to your laptops beforehand.  You will also need to install a plug-in from this site to transform the Audacity audio to MP3s.  http://lame.buanzo.org/#lamewindl

150129_TECH_SnapChat.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge

Yup, that pretty much is how I feel. Pic from slate.com

Am I over-tweeting?

http://todaymade.com/blog/tweeting-too-much/

From Todaymade.com/Julie Neidlinger

Am I over-tweeting?  Some tips on how to know are here.  (Tip: if you are live-tweeting your own twitter feed, then yes.) And for Twitter fans, today it added some new features, so you can group message and edit, shoot and post videos.  Or, according to Gizmodo, watch commercials: “This move is probably motivated, in part, by other platforms like Facebook and Instagram steadily adding video support in their timeline, and also to (obviously) gives companies the opportunity to flood the internet with their carefully crafted 30-second ads. So adding video for Twitter is a win-win, for all us—maybe not so much.”  Neil Patrick Harris was one of the first to make use of this, with his scoop here.

From Todaymade.com/Julie Neidlinger

Blogs of the week: Hub Humphrey for his behind-the-scenes live-tweeting of a gymnastics meet, complete with video. And do check out Ana Hauser live-tweeting her Tinder date.

Reading: 1) Texas Tribune

2) Shale Life (think about the differences with Snowfall)

3) The Texas Tribune is 5 Years old and Sustainable. Now What? (Nieman)

4) The Least Interesting Man in the World (Austin Magazine)

Look back at The Changing Revenue in American Journalism

ASSIGNMENT: 1) Prepare two questions for Evan Smith. Try to reference specific pieces of news reporting the Texas Tribune has done, or its business model

2) Download the NPR one app, and play for a bit with tagging, sharing and skipping stories so that your stream becomes personalised. Listen for half an hour, and write a radio review. I want to know how you rate the listening experience, including the type of stories offered, the efficacy of customization and whether it was an experience you would repeat.  (for Jan 29th, 9am)